David Blankenhorn’s NY Times Essay
David Blankenhorn wrote a very interesting op-ed piece for the New York Times. For those of you who don’t know David Blankenhorn was the chief witness for the state of California’s case on Proposition 8, banning same-sex marriage. He also wrote the book, The Future of Marriage, and was the founder of the New York bases, Institute for American Values. In this piece he states that his opposition of same-sex marriage stems from the fact that marriage has been defined classically as a bond between two people for the purpose of creating and raising children, and a same-sex couple could never have a child that was the biological union of the two people in that relationship. That is true in the biological sense. He then continues to state that he had hoped that his statements, and the ensuing debate would strengthen the marriages of heterosexual couples. He sees that specific point of view is flawed and that the arguments about same-sex marriage has turned into nothing but a culture war. He hopes that maybe that by accepting gay couples as a legal unit that he could attack different moral problems, such as the premarital childbirth rate, instead of this issue.
He clearly states in his article that his belief on same-sex couple haven’t changed, but that after a while you have to see what society wants and go with the flow. Is he right? A bit of both. He wants his cake and to eat it too. He’s saying, bluntly, while I don’t believe your family unit is the same as mine, I want to stop fighting about it so I can make/spend money somewhere else. I don’t know if I should applaud this man’s arrogance or not?
- Gay Rights Groups: Same-Sex Marriage Foe’s Conversion Is Sign Of The Times (buzzfeed.com)
- “David Blankenhorn’s evolution on marriage equality is emblematic of the paradigm shift we are…” (shortformblog.com)
- From Opposition to Acceptance of Reality (ireport.cnn.com)
- How My View on Gay Marriage Changed – David Blankenhorn (kiwianglo.wordpress.com)
- Gay marriage supporters welcome leading critic’s change of heart (guardian.co.uk)
- Key Prop. 8 backer now supports same-sex marriage (sfgate.com)
- Blankenhorn Evolves to a Centrist Position on Same-Sex Marriage (gruntledcenter.blogspot.com)
- Prop 8 Proponent David Blankenhorn: ‘The Time Has Come for Me to Accept Gay Marriage’ (towleroad.com)
- David Blankenhorn Defects On Marriage Equality (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- David Blankenhorn Drops Opposition to Gay Marriage (nytimes.com)