Features & Essays

The Stay at Home Mommy Chronicles Day One

I had a baby in June. My husband works as a speech therapist in a couple local high schools, so I was blessed to have him home for the first two months of our son’s life. Now school is about to start and he has to go back to work. So my journey as a stay at home mommy begins in earnest.

My husband and I woke up at 6am. My husband had taken the 4 am wake up shift with the assumption that the little prince would wake up again at 6. He did not fall asleep until about 5:15. I probably should take those shifts closer to wake up time.

Sine baby didn’t wake up until 7 I was able to make the husband breakfast. It was nice to just sit and talk with my husband before he went to work.

The baby has had some sort of rash. I don’t know if it is just baby acne, but something has been making him itchy, so he hasn’t been sleeping well and cranky. So when he woke up I tried feeding him and he was not having it. He would eat, then whine, eat then whine. Then spit up all over me. It was glorious.

Baby bear fell asleep for a short time at about 10 and I was able to put in a load of laundry, we just went to grandmas for the weekend so we had quite a bit of laundry to do. Then I started on the dishes. He of course woke up when I was covered in soap.

He then had a diaper change, crankily ate and then I brought out the vibrating rocker my mom got for him. He was so calm in that chair. I was able to clean up, streighten the house, transfer the laundry. It was awesome.

I was then able to get dressed for the day. I guess I have to get over myself and learn to shower with the baby here, or turn into a night showering person, one of the two.

I was able to start an article after that but then baby started wining. I changed him and put cornstarch on his rash and he seemed better. We cuddled on the couch watching early 2000s wrestling on the WWE app. After he fell asleep I was able to finish my article, fold clothes and start the last load of laundry.

All of the housework was done at about 3pm which was the time my husband called and said he was coming home. It was only a teacher work day, no students. And so my first day as a stay at home mom was finished by 4pm. The husband doesn’t have to work today but is back to work on Monday. I hope I can stay as productive as I was yesterday.

If any other stay at home moms have any suggestions for me please leave them in the comments. I would love to hear them.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most Popular

To Top